Thursday, July 15, 2010

Staff Ups, Staff Downs

The staff are basically all similar to me, jaded, human and each with their own problems. A couple of weeks ago our boss mysteriously failed to turn up for work, and a younger more excited manager was "filling in". We were all told he was on sick leave for a few weeks - stress leave I assumed. The rumous started spreading about the sous chef that was just sacked for drinking a lot on the job, the excuse had been made that she was sick before the truth came out.

I then decided he had been given the sack due to his lack of team leadership and failure to keep revenue up.
A few days later we were told he was no longer with the company. No surprise to us, maybe he was caught doing something inappropriate - security cameras are EVERYWHERE... maybe he resigned for other reasons. We'll never know.

I enjoy being around the new manager, he's exciting, encouraging, and eager to be there as a hands on manager. He's exactly what we need when feeling down-trodden and abused.

Last week the staff numbers seemed lower than usual, but I wasn't paying much attention. The word among the staff was that one guy had been sacked for stealing money. He was still on the rota, and it turned out he was still employed two nights a week - because he was only stealing from him collegues, not from the company. I worked with him Friday and Saturday, not realising none of the other staff had ignored him the whole evening. I didn't feel angry towards him, I figured he was obviously given another chance to prove he's willing to change. He's human, doesn't get many hours, has a family to support. If I was desperate perhaps I might have done something similar. I spoke with him, I was polite and thankful when he helped me - at the end of the night he thanked me - I think for talking to him more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment